- The Water Torture Cell
- The Milk Can
- Jail Breaks
- Murderers Row escape
- Siberian Transport Van
- Scotland Yard
- Bridge jumps
- Belle Isle Bridge jump
- Harvard Bridge jump
- Suspended Straitjacket
- The Overboard Box
- Mirror Handcuff Challenge
- Sea Monster Escape
- Weed Chain Tire Grip
- Buried Alive
- The Shelton Pool Test
- Full Bibliography
- By Houdini
- For Kids
- Wild About Harry Bookshelf
- Houdini His Life Story (1928)
- Houdini The Man Who Walked Through Walls (1959)
- Houdini The Untold Story (1969)
- The Life and Many Deaths of Harry Houdini (1993)
- Houdini!!! The Career of Ehrich Weiss (1997)
- The Secret Life of Houdini (2006)
- The Metamorphosis: The Apprenticeship of Harry Houdini (2012)
- The Witch of Lime Street (2015)
- Houdini interviewed by Louella Parsons (1918)
- Marie Rahner Hinson (Bess Houdini's sister)
- Karen Mann (Daughter of Jack Price)
- Anna Thurlow (Great granddaughter of Margery)
- Dorothy Young (Houdini assistant)
- Theo. Hardeen (radio interview)
- Rick Schmidlin (Grim Game restorationist)
- Michael Weston (Houdini & Doyle)
- Roger Dreyer (Houdini Museum of New York)
- Los Angeles Conference on Magic History (2015)
- Official Houdini Seance, San Francisco (2015)
- Houdini Historical Roast (2015)
- Midwest Magic History Weekend, Marshall (2015)
- The Grim Game premiere in Hollywood (2015)
- Houdini at Hollywood Heritage (2014)
- Official Houdini Seance, Fort Worth (2012)
- Magic Collectors Weekend, Chicago (2011)
- Tony Curtis at The Magic Castle (2009)
Jacob Hyman aka J.H. Houdini
Jacob and Harry met while working together at H. Richter's Sons tie-cutting factory in New York City. Legend has it that one day Harry told Jacob that he had just read The Memories of Robert-Houdin, the autobiography of the great French conjurer. Jacob said that if Harry added an "i" to the last name of Houdin, it would mean "like-Houdin" in French. The name HOUDINI was born.
In 1891 Harry and Jacob quit their jobs and set out to pursue careers in magic as "The Brothers Houdini". Together they performed at the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1893. But Jacob left the act to join the Army. On his return, he performed solo as "J.H. Houdini" and also did an act with his brother Joe called The Brothers Herne.
Jacob continued to perform as J.H. Houdini even after Harry became a success. He argued that he had as much right to use the name as his former partner. In 1903 Houdini decided they needed to hash out the issue of there being two Houdinis. With the help of his brother Leopold, an attorney named Louis Spiegel, and a pair of handcuffs from which Jacob couldn't escape, Harry reclaimed the name.
Jacob went to medical school at Ohio University (perhaps using the money Houdini paid for his act?) and became a successful physician in Los Angeles. In 1911 he married silent movie actress Dorothy Dale (Lyda Wilcox) and later became a minister. Despite the feud over the name, Harry and Jacob remained good friends. Hyman was an inner circle participant at the Final Houdini Seance in Hollywood in 1936.
Jacob Hyman's younger brother, Joe (who spelled his name Hayman), went on to become a popular comedian. His record Cohen on the Telephone was the first comedy record to sell a million copies.
Jacob Hyman died in 1942. His wife Lyda died in a house fire in 1957. They are both buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, CA.
Uncovering the grave of Houdini's first "Brother"
CLICK FOR ALL POSTS RELATED TO JACOB HYMAN