|The Football Post, Jan. 7, 1911.|
Houdini first appeared in Nottingham in 1909 at Barrasford’s Royal Hippodrome. Now he was at the Empire. During his run he was challenge by joiners from Henry Vickers & Son to escape packing case. Houdini returned to the Nottingham Empire in 1913, 1914, and 1920. During his 1914 engagement he presented his Grand Magical Revue, making the Empire one of only a handful of stages to have featured Houdini short-lived magic show.
The Nottingham Empire stood on S. Sherwood Street and saw many famous entertainers during its long life. It closed in June 1958 and stood empty until it was demolished in 1969. Today a modern extension of the Theatre Royal occupies the site.
Here's the outside of the Empire in its final year. Home of the aeroplanist!