A treasure trove of recently discovered magic memorabilia from the collection of the late Edwin A. Dearn will be auctioned by Lawsons in New South Wales on Friday, February 22, 2013. The auction includes many Houdini letters and photographs, some never before published, such as these beautiful portraits of Houdini and Bess below.
According to a story in The Daily Telegraph, Dearn's daughter-in-law discovered these forgotten gems in a wooden chest while she was cleaning out her garage in Sydney. Items include books, signed photos, several letters between Houdini and Dearn, and a remarkable letter from Bess written two months after Houdini's death detailing the dressing room punch and her final moments with her husband (Tom Interval highlights this letter on his blog, Houdini Museum).
Lawsons auction house managing director Martin Farrah said, "Not in your wildest dreams would you expect a collection like this to pop up in Australia."
The auction is called Houdini Magic & Einstein Memorabilia and the estimates are remarkably low. Several of the Houdini photos are in Lot 1813 along with a wealth of other rare photos of famous magicians and magic ephemera.
This is going to be a blood bath.
Thanks to Tom Interval at Houdini Museum and Robert Teicher from Sydney for the alerts.
UPDATE: Lawsons Houdini lots blow past auction estimates.
- Houdini's Movies
- Les merveilleux exploits de Houdini à Paris (1909)
- The Master Mystery (1918)
- The Grim Game (1919)
- Terror Island (1920)
- The Man From Beyond (1922)
- Haldane of the Secret Service (1923)
- Velvet Fingers (1925-26)
- Medium Well Done (1937)
- Religious Racketeers (1938)
- Houdini Picture Corp.
- Film Developing Corp.
- Filming locations
- Unmade Movies
- Deconstructing Houdini '53
- Beatrice Houdini
- Theo Hardeen
- Cecelia Weiss
- Mayer Samuel Weiss
- Jim Collins
- Franz Kukol
- Martin Beck
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- J. Gordon Whitehead
- Edward Saint
- Jacob Hyman
- Leopold Weiss
- Carrie Gladys Weiss
- Bernard M.L. Ernst
- Charmian London
- Jess Willard
- H.P. Lovecraft
- Sherlock Holmes
- Other magicians
- Full Bibliography
- By Houdini
- For Kids
- Wild About Harry Bookshelf
- Houdini His Life Story (1928)
- Houdini The Man Who Walked Through Walls (1959)
- Houdini The Untold Story (1969)
- The Life and Many Deaths of Harry Houdini (1993)
- Houdini!!! The Career of Ehrich Weiss (1997)
- The Secret Life of Houdini (2006)
- The Metamorphosis: The Apprenticeship of Harry Houdini (2012)
- The Witch of Lime Street (2015)
- The Life and Afterlife of Harry Houdini (2019)
- The Official Houdini Seance
- Terror Island screening on Catalina (2018)
- Visiting the Copperfield Collection (2018)
- 278 Open House (2017)
- Los Angeles Conference on Magic History (2015)
- Official Houdini Séance, San Francisco (2015)
- Houdini Historical Roast (2015)
- Midwest Magic History Weekend, Marshall (2015)
- The Grim Game premiere in Hollywood (2015)
- Houdini at Hollywood Heritage (2014)
- Official Houdini Seance, Fort Worth (2012)
- Magic Collectors Weekend, Chicago (2011)
- Houdini Art and Magic exhibition (2010-2012)
- Tony Curtis at The Magic Castle (2009)
Saturday, February 16, 2013
Treasure trove of Houdiniana at auction Feb 22
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Amazing find....drooling :-)
I don't like this.ReplyDelete
Cultural Heritage Act
Australia operates a Cultural Heritage Act to control the export of works thought to have or be of cultural significance. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to obtain the necessary permit prior to exportation.
Interesting. But I don't see anything here that has specific cultural significance to Australia, so I'd think you'd be in the clear. That would be something to ask the auction house.Delete
Two things I can spot Australian - flavoured are - Amazing Mr Rooklyn poster ( Australian magician, Jewish in the 30's onwards) And Davenport Brothers diary ( one of them is buried here). But I don't see why they can't be sold. Very exciting to see such goodies!ReplyDelete