And the winners are...
While HISTORY's Houdini was nominated for several major Hollywood guild awards, it looks like the miniseries has come away empty handed. Here's a rundown:
- Adrien Brody was nominated by the Screen Actors Guild for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries. Mark Ruffalo took home the award for his performance in HBO's The Normal Heart.
- Director Uli Edel was nominated by the Directors Guild for Best Director TV Miniseries/Movie. Edel lost to Lisa Cholodenko for Olive Kitteridge.
- Nicholas Meyer was nominated by the Writers Guild for outstanding achievement in television in the "Long Form Adapted" category. Meyer lost to Jane Anderson and Olive Kitteridge.
- The Art Directors Guild nominated Production Designer Patricia Von Brandenstein for Excellence in Production Design in Television 2014: Television Movie or Mini-Series. Houdini lost to American Horror Story: Freak Show.
- The Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild has nominated Gregor Eckstein in three categories: Best Period Character Make-up, Best Special Make-up Effect, and Best Period Character Hair Styling. American Horror Story: Freak Show swept all three categories.
- Costume designer Birgit Hutter was nominated for Outstanding Made for Television Movie or Mini Series by The Costume Designers Guild. Once again, American Horror Story: Freak Show took home the award.
The miniseries did not receive nominations for editing, music, or cinematography.
Interestingly, the hot rumor at the moment is that the next season of American Horror Story, which took so many of the awards from Houdini, will be set in the world of magic and magicians. Also, the season 4 finale featured a murder via Houdini's Water Torture Cell.