Haversat & Ewing Galleries -- the teaming of magic powerhouses David Haversat and Tom Ewing -- is currently live. Once again there are several nice Houdini items for sale, including an original 8-sheet Buried Alive! poster with NO Reserve (Lot #54).
In case you're wondering, this is not the same Buried Alive! poster that recently sold at Heritage Auction House. This poster comes from the private collection of David Haversat and is conserved on rice paper and canvas.
The auction description says that Houdini never performed his Buried Alive. This was the conventional thinking for many years, but Houdini did perform the effect at least once (more on that soon). He also appears to have conceived it as early as 1914.
The auction ends this Saturday April 5th at 5:00 PM EST. Click here to view all the auction lots.
UPDATE: The poster sold for $4,628.75.
- Houdini's Movies
- Les merveilleux exploits de Houdini à Paris (1909)
- The Master Mystery (1918)
- The Grim Game (1919)
- Terror Island (1920)
- The Man From Beyond (1922)
- Haldane of the Secret Service (1923)
- Velvet Fingers (1925-26)
- Medium Well Done (1937)
- Religious Racketeers (1938)
- Houdini Picture Corp.
- Film Developing Corp.
- Filming locations
- Unmade Movies
- Deconstructing Houdini '53
- Beatrice Houdini
- Theo Hardeen
- Cecelia Weiss
- Mayer Samuel Weiss
- Jim Collins
- Franz Kukol
- Martin Beck
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- J. Gordon Whitehead
- Edward Saint
- Jacob Hyman
- Leopold Weiss
- Carrie Gladys Weiss
- Bernard M.L. Ernst
- Charmian London
- Jess Willard
- H.P. Lovecraft
- Sherlock Holmes
- Other magicians
- Full Bibliography
- By Houdini
- For Kids
- Wild About Harry Bookshelf
- Houdini His Life Story (1928)
- Houdini The Man Who Walked Through Walls (1959)
- Houdini The Untold Story (1969)
- The Life and Many Deaths of Harry Houdini (1993)
- Houdini!!! The Career of Ehrich Weiss (1997)
- The Secret Life of Houdini (2006)
- The Metamorphosis: The Apprenticeship of Harry Houdini (2012)
- The Witch of Lime Street (2015)
- The Life and Afterlife of Harry Houdini (2019)
- The Official Houdini Seance
- Terror Island screening on Catalina (2018)
- Visiting the Copperfield Collection (2018)
- 278 Open House (2017)
- Los Angeles Conference on Magic History (2015)
- Official Houdini Séance, San Francisco (2015)
- Houdini Historical Roast (2015)
- Midwest Magic History Weekend, Marshall (2015)
- The Grim Game premiere in Hollywood (2015)
- Houdini at Hollywood Heritage (2014)
- Official Houdini Seance, Fort Worth (2012)
- Magic Collectors Weekend, Chicago (2011)
- Houdini Art and Magic exhibition (2010-2012)
- Tony Curtis at The Magic Castle (2009)
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Haversat & Ewing dig up Buried Alive!
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
John, if you're thinking about that escape Houdini planned where he was in a straight jacket, a sack, and a coffin in a big glass tank (that there was a poster for circa 1913-14,) Houdini never did that one. The poster that is up for auction is about the underwater tests.ReplyDelete
Or have you additional info about the escape?
I don't think this is for the underwater tests. I think this is the same effect he first developed in 1914 and that he revived in '26. I think this because he's in a straitjacket in this poster. And look at the description in the 1926 Boston ad HERE: "Buried Alive under tons of sand." I think that's what this poster is advertising. That's my take on it at least.Delete
Although, granted, the reference to "Egyptian Fakirs Outdone" is a nod to the Shelton test. It's doing double duty. Recalling recent headlines while advertising a new stage effect.Delete