It was 85 years ago today on October 31, 1926, that Harry Houdini died in Detroit's Grace Hospital from peritonitis. He died at 1:26PM. His last words, spoken to his brother Hardeen, where said to have been, "I'm tried of fighting. It looks like this thing is going to get me."
Today, however, Houdini's memory is alive and thriving. He is as famous on this day in 2011 as he was when newspapers around the country announced his sudden death at age 52.
Not only is today celebrated as Halloween, but magicians around the world recognize it as National Magic Day in honor of the great magician, escape artist, author, actor, aviator, collector, and crusader against fraudulent mediums.
|The room where Houdini died (#401). These photos were taken before|
the demolotion of the original Grace Hospital in 1976. (Houdini Tribute)
Houdini death timeline:
- 85 years ago: Houdini's Water Torture Cell accident (Oct 11)
- 85 years ago: Houdini in Montreal (Oct 22)
- 85 years ago: Houdini at the Garrick (Oct 24)
- 85 years ago: Bad news from Detroit (Oct 26)
- 85 years ago: Houdini rallies! (Oct 28)